This recipe taken from America’s Test Kitchen.
4 t. kosher salt or 2 t. table salt*
1 3-4 lb boneless eye-round roast, trimmed of visible fat
4 t. canola oil
- Sprinkle the salt evenly over the meat. Place the roast on a large plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 18-24 hours
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position in the oven, and heat oven to 225 degrees. Set a rack inside a large, rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Pat the roast dry with paper towels, rub 2 t. of canola oil over the roast, and season with pepper.
- Heat the remaining 2 t. of oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Brown the meat on both sides (~ 5 minutes per side). Transfer the roast, fat side up, to the prepared wire rack and roast for 1 1/4 hours to 1 3/4 hours (or until internal temperature of the roast reaches 115 degrees). DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR DURING THIS TIME.
- Turn the oven off and let the roast continue to cook in the oven for 20-35 minutes (or until internal temperature of the roast reaches 225 degrees). DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR DURING THIS TIME.
- Transfer the roast to a carving board, lightly tent with foil, and let stand for 20 minutes. Carve in thin slices and serve.
* You can try this with garlic- or onion-salt if you like.